Monday, February 25, 2019

Post Oscars...how did my predicting go?

So I predicted the Oscars....let's fuss up on how I did with that and the answer, fairly well but ranting is forthcoming.

Before I start on that, I just saw If Beale Street Could Talk and ROBBED. That film should have been nominated for and won much more than it did. Predicting now, it will be a solid top five finish in my top films of the year.

Back to Oscars...

Best Picture
My preferred winner- Roma
My predicted winner- A Star is Born or Green Book
Actual winner- Green Book

Might be one of the only people who called this one as there was a lot of industry support for Roma and a lot of money behind A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody. Do I think Green Book deserved to win? I don't know, I've not seen it and in all honesty, I'm not likely to until it is streaming somewhere. From what I have heard it is not as good as Roma, The Favourite, BlacKkKlansman, and Black Panther- which would also make it not as good as If Beale Street Could Talk (which wasn't even nominated (HOW??)), and all of the nominated foreign language films that I had seen. I predicted it based on the type of film the academy tends to award (yes I think Moonlight a few years ago was a blip where they went against type (it is a better film than La La Land but money was on La La Land that year)). 

Best Actor
My preferred winner- Rami Malek
My predicted winner- Rami Malek
Actual winner- Rami Malek

The no-one is shocked at all category of the year. Christian Bale had only taken one award of the major awards out there so this was Malek's to lose and it would be been a giant upset if he hadn't won.

Best Actress
My preferred winner- Olivia Colman
My predicted winner- Lady Gaga or Glen Close
Actual winner- Olivia Colman

This made me SO happy!!! Colman completely deserved the award and I was terrified that she was at long odds of getting it. Thankfully solid acting skills won over crowd favouritism (Gaga) or legacy (Close). Not that the others gave bad performance (granted haven't seen The Wife) but no performance (by anyone) last year was as good as Colman's in my opinion.

Supportings (combining them as no-one was shocked)
My preferred winners- Sam Rockwell and Rachel Weisz or Regina King
My predicted winners- Mahershala Ali and Regina King
Actual winners- Mahershala Ali and Regina King

Much like lead actor not much to say as this was very predictable, except to say now that I've seen If Beale Street Could Talk, King's win was insanely well deserved and where were the rest of the acting noms for that film?

Best Director
My preferred winner- Alfonso Cuaron but generally OK with most of the nominees taking it out
My predicted winner- Alfonso Cuaron or Spike Lee
Actual winner- Alfonso Cuaron

Again it is a zero shock outcome. Aside from a possible legacy award to Lee, this was Cuaron's to lose.

Best Original Screenplay
My preferred winner- The Favourite
My predicted winner- The Favourite or Roma
Actual winner- Green Book

First category where I was completely off and all I can say it is INSANE that The Favourite did not win this. I cannot see in any universe how Green Book could have a better screenplay than the delight that was the quick wit of The Favourite's screenplay and from the reviews I've seen/heard it doesn't...

Best Adapted Screenplay
My preferred winner- BlacKkKlansman
My predicted winner- BlacKkKlansman or If Beale Street Could Talk
Actual winner- BlacKkKlansman

I don't care if this is in part Spike Lee's legacy Oscar, it is so well deserved.

Best Cinematography
My preferred winner- Roma
My predicted winner- Roma
Actual winner- Roma

It would been straight up insane if Roma hadn't won because its strongest competition wasn't nominated. No shade to Cold War which also has amazing cinematography or to The Favourite which also is pretty solid (I've not seen Never Look Away but I understand also a worthy nominee), but that A Star is Born was nominated for cinematography and If Beale Street Could Talk (the film that most would have been Roma a fight) wasn't, is straight up bonkers BUT that is before you get to the next level crazy of the next award...

Best Editing
My preferred winner- BlacKkKlansman
My predicted winner- BlacKkKlansman (I went so far as to say there would be little justice in the world if it lost to anything but maybe The Favourite)
Actual winner- Bohemian Rhapsody

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL?!?!?! Yep time for some rants. Bohemian Rhapsody's editing much like everything else about the film except its lead performance was the most middling form of average that there is. I cannot speak to Green Book but the three other nominees (BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite and Vice) were all insanely better edited as were If Beale Street Could Talk, Roma, Cold War, and actual many other things I saw in the last year. Did all the academy voters just opt to throw Bohemian Rhapsody a bone because it spent so much on its campaign?!?!  Is it there way to validate of the greater madness of the Globes giving it Best Drama? Flat out lunacy!!!!

Best Production Design
My preferred winner- Black Panther
My predicted winner- Black Panther or The Favourite
Actual winner- Black Panther

Let's be honest. The Academy was never going to let Black Panther win best picture (and rightly so in my opinion even though I deeply loved the film). The technical categories were always where it was going to shine and shine it did.

Best Costumes
My preferred winner- Black Panther
My predicted winner- Black Panther or The Favourite
Actual winner- Black Panther

See above as it applies here too.

Best Hair and Make-Up
My preferred winner- Vice
My predicted winner- Vice
Actual winner- Vice

This is another "duh" category except to say they likely would have heard my rage from Hollywood had they stupidly given this to Mary Queen of Scots

Best Score
My preferred winner- Black Panther
My predicted winner- Black Panther
Actual winner- Black Panther

Hells yeah for more awards for Black Panther. Though I hope the finish between this and Beale Street was tight...

Best Original Song
My preferred winner- "All the Stars" from Black Panther
My predicted winner- "Shallow" from A Star is Born
Actual winner- "Shallow"

This was a gimme for A Star is Born. It is a beautiful song even I prefer me some Kendrick and this was the place to acknowledge the quality of A Star is Born instead of the acting or technical categories.

Best Sound Mix
My preferred winner- First Man (which I still haven't seen but based on what I've heard) or Black Panther
My predicted winner- First Man
Actual winner- Bohemian Rhapsody

Not as angry about this one as I am about editing and the next category (maybe because I had clear favourites in the other two) BUT surely what is with all the awards for Bohemian Rhapsody??? Just nope... (except for lead actor)

Best Sound Editing
My preferred winner- A Quiet Place
My predicted winner- if sanity reigned, A Quiet Place, maybe First Man though as the Academy doesn't love horror
Actual winner- Bohemian Rhapsody

See editing rant but replace all of the other films mentioned with A Quiet Place all in caps, all the time, repeatedly. FLAT OUT WRONG!!!!!!! No justice and sanity in the world of sound editing and it makes me think the voters in the academy don't even know what good sound editing sounds like!!

Best Visual Effects
My preferred winner- Avengers: Infinity War
My predicted winner- Infinity Wars or First Man
Actual winner- First Man

The nominees in this category were a hot mess and it really came down to just two films. First Man also missed out in a lot of categories that it was touted to win or even be nominated in so this was a good spot to give a nod to it- that said it lost a lot of those categories to insanity (see above).

Best Animated Film
My preferred winner- Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse
My predicted winner- Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse
Actual winner- Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse

Another obvious one but it made me happy to see it still.

Best Foreign Film
My preferred winner- Roma
My predicted winner- Roma
Actual winner- Roma

One final obvious one...it would have been crazy for it not to take out this award as it was the only one of the nominees in for Best Picture.

As you'll recall I didn't predict docos or shorts so that is it...

Final tally- completely wrong in four categories and I am putting that down to a combo of insanity (google it folks, most of the world agrees with me that the Bohemian Rhapsody awards aside from lead actor were straight up bananas) or sentiment (that is my theory for Green Book for screenplay anyway). All in all, well predicted I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment