Monday, August 4, 2014

"Well, it beats being alone all by yourself."

So it seems this is the time of the year where I get all serious on my blog in a less political way (as that happens relatively often) and more of a personal sense. This isn't the post I had planned to post next as I have this post on season four of Game of Thrones almost ready to go, nor is it a feel sorry for me post, it is just a stating of a fact from my experience.

The quote that is the title is of course from the amazing Cordelia Chase from Buffy and Angel in the context of her saying that being popular doesn't mean she isn't lonely. She may be the most shallow of sources (at the time of this quote) but that in some ways doesn't lessen that it is relevant to modern society. In modern society, we are so surrounded by people as we go about our busy lives that we sometimes don't realise that we are neglecting human interaction in the more personal sense. For everyone this is bad, but for extroverts doubly so as it means you are often lacking in energy.

I've felt this particularly hard this year. Don't get me wrong I work with an awesome bunch of people (at both of my jobs) and I get to hang out each Sunday with my amazing church family BUT in previous years I was working every day with two of my closest friends and had the same nights of the week free as other close friends so I saw them pretty regularly. Earlier this year, I moved to a new second job and left the office with people I knew better. I also found myself in the position of being busy on exactly the nights my friends were free and free on the nights they were busy- even Saturdays weirdly my rare free Saturday almost always seems to coincide with the ones others were busy on. I work with people so I'm always around people but I don't often get to have conversations about things that interest me or to have deeper personal conversations. I also find when I do see people that we have one of those weird conversations where we both think the other knows what has been going on for us lately, but then we realise mid conversation that this isn't the case and have to backtrack and retell everything.

So many people in society are more busy than they possibly should be. So this is just me saying text messages are cheap as as phone calls. If you think that someone is busy and you think that you haven't seen them in a while, just shoot them a text. You might make their day, especially if they are an extrovert who needs a bit of re-energising.

That is my two cents for today...

1 comment:

  1. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    introvert meaning in urdu

    ReplyDelete