Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What a year it has been....2011 pop cultural highlights

The year is coming to a close and whilst I still have a more serious end of year post and a Christmas post up my sleeve, in my extreme boredom of being off from work a week before Christmas, I thought I'd share with the denizens of blogland my top books, TV shows, films and albums for the year that was 2011 (you already know for songs as I blogged about my hottest 100 vote)....You may not care but who knows maybe one day a spot on my list will trump a Booker or an Emmy or an Oscar or an Aria...and also did I say bored....

Movies

I decided to start with films for no particular reason and I'm aware that there are still 2011 release films to come (yes I will be seeing Tin Tin and The Muppets but not until the new year so they are 2012 films for me)....


1. Midnight in Paris
Far and away my favourite film of 2011, and in fact it is now one of my favourite all time films. Woody Allen's script and direction are brilliant; Owen Wilson (whom I always love in films) is outstanding; the costuming and cinematography are masterful; and it is set in one of history's most fascinating periods and one of the world's most beautiful cities....there is no bad especially since like the character of Gil, I love Paris in the rain. This was truly a 5 star film in my books.






2. The Ides of March

George Clooney and Ryan Gosling....does more need to be said????

Actually it does because aside from the involvement of two of the most gorgeous and most talented actors working today, this film was also whip smart, brilliantly scripted and directed (both thanks to Clooney again) and included a cast of some of most outstanding actors in film today- I mean Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Paul Giamatti and Evan Rachel Wood is pretty much a dream cast even before you add Clooney and Gosling to the mix.


3. Jane Eyre

There are so many adaptations of Jane Eyre that it could be questioned whether another was needed and were it not for the involvement of Michael Fassbender (who it has to be said has had an outstanding year- probably slotting in second to Ryan Gosling as the actor to watch in 2012 and after) I would have dodged the film on those grounds. Thankfully it is one of the best adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's novel I've seen especially since it worked to make Jane in particular but also Mr Rochester a bit more homely looking (they failed with Rochester in my books but as I've been a fan of Michael Fassbender since Hex you'd have to work really hard to actually make him seem homely to me), and it included the section with the Rivers family which so often gets left out. Mia Wasikowska proves once again that she is a star on the rise with a brilliant performance as Jane- her being an Aussie also makes me feel less bad about the absence of Aussie films in my top 5 (I think the only 2011 Aussie release I saw was Wasted on the Young which I saw in July 2010 so isn't a 2011 release in my books).





4. Norwegian Wood
The foreign language part of my top 5. I loved the book on which this film was based and I was very worried that the film would not be great. This film had its flaws but it was profoundly beautiful and all in all a high quality adaptation of the text. The performances are also very touching.





5. Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
Just to end, a nod to my love of all things B grade. This film was hilarious.... that is all!


Honourable mentions- The Trip; The Tree of Life; 127 Hours; Howl; Crazy Stupid Love; Contagion; and Melancholia (esp. the first 10 minutes)

Books

I actually haven't read too many 2011 release books- only 4 (one of which was a guilty pleasure read) and I'm currently reading the 5th - so instead I give you just my top book (which is a tied spot).

You'll be Sorry when I'm Dead by Marieke Hardy


I've already blogged about my love of this book so you can look through old posts for me speiling about how much I loved it instead of me repeating it here.

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides


I finished this book not long ago and it is AMAZING! I love both of Eugenides's earlier novels- The Virgin Suicides in particular. I think it will particular be a hit with people with English literature (esp. 19th literature), biology or religion degrees- two from three ticks for me and I'm quite interested in religion as well. I completely identified with the character of Madeleine and completely fell in love with the character of Mitchell. I could go on but it would be pages and pages of ranting so I'll stop there and encourage you to read it and make up your own mind.

Of course the most honourable of honourable mentions goes to Jonathan Franzen's outstanding Freedom which was barely third to the tie.

Albums


I already mentioned my top three (actually four in my Hottest 100 blog) but just for those who missed it....

1. Making Mirrors by Gotye

2. Prisoner by The Jezabels


3 (tied). Moment Bends by Architecture in Helsinki

3 (tied). Let England Shake by P. J. Harvey


5. Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes
The album not mentioned in my Hottest 100 list- though one of the tunes off it was.



Honourable mentions- Seeker Lover Keeper by Seeker Lover Keeper, The King is Dead by the Decemberists, This Modern Glitch by the Wombats, To the Horses by Lanie Lane, Vows by Kimbra, Last Night on Earth by Noah and the Whale, Locked by Land by Jinja Safari, and A Creature I Don't Know  by Laura Marling.


TV Shows

There were a few shows that I discovered in 2011 which were released earlier on Aussie TV (notibly Community, Rake and The Tudors) but I'll limit myself to shows that first appeared in Australia in 2011 or I discovered in 2011 despite not being on Aussie TV and it is three way tie for first place.

1 (tied). Laid
That's right two Marieke Hardy works across my favourite things in 2011. Laid was hilarious and I'm totally looking forward to the next season.


1 (tied). The Hour
Quality British drama featuring brilliant fashion and the ever brilliant and appealing Ben Whishaw.

 
1 (still tied). Bored to Death
Not surprisingly all the tied number 1s were on ABC. Bored to Death started on US TV a few years ago but we just got it here this year. Sharpily funny and I'm currently despairing that HBO has now canned it.



4. The Walking Dead
This show has yet to officially land on Australia shores (in any format though the DVDs are due in March next year- can you say YAY!) and it was originally screened in late 2010 overseas. I caught it in early 2011 and it has feature production quality and ZOMBIES so you've got to love it.

5. Downton Abbey
Just to prove I do watch me some commercial television (though this show really should have been on ABC). Good period drama with one of the best casts in years...pity you have to put up with the ads.
 
Honorary mentions- Gruen Planet, Adam Hills in Gordon St Tonight and Crownies  
Best miniseries- Not TV shows but worth a mention- The Slap and Paper Giants
Old shows still pumping out quality- True Blood, Torchwood (despite the relocate to the US), Dr Who (though there was mild wonkiness this season), Mad Men, Glee (yes I'm a Glee fan...mock me if you must), United States of Tara, QI, Offspring, Being Human (the UK version), Community and Shameless (the UK version)...and this is excluding all non strictly entertainment shows ....

Finally just to end with and because I've been sharing it everywhere...Best pop culture crossover moment of 2011...thank you Glee for this....


1 comment:

  1. Nice collection Clare. I have to get on to reading and watching the list!

    ReplyDelete